Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Nothing Like a Leiper's Fork Parade



It was a Leiper’s Fork Christmas Parade year with family. You know the kind of parade I’m talking about. It leads off with Rudolph and ends with Santa Claus in a sleigh as the climax to a very excited crowd of boys and girls who have waited to see him for what may seem like a year.


Well, everyone in these parts knows that the parade in Leiper’s Fork, a rural community in this county is a little offbeat if not qwerky. This year the actual parade was delayed a two weeks due to rain, but it was just as unusual as always. Maybe the additional two weeks just added to the emotional buildup. Thankfully, it was a beautiful day.


The first Christmas Parade I attended a month before the Leiper’s Fork parade included for me an Elvis sighting. It was unexpected and for me helped to make it memorable. Elvis sang “Blue Christmas.” The rest of the parade included marching bands, corrals of horses and many large floats. I don’t recall any goats, pigs, small donkeys, puppies or dogs. The parade in Leiper’s Fork had a menagerie (second dictionary meaning) for us.


Leading the parade in Leiper’s Fork, of course was a dancing Rudolph, and then there was Mike Wolfe from American Pickers on a vintage Harley with sidecar. Filling the middle of the parade were Farmall tractors, a replica of the General Lee, several antique Fords, Chevrolets and a Willies pickup truck. The parade also included a local Cub Scout pack, local high school cheerleaders, the Grinch who stole Christmas; children’s peddle cars, even a remote controlled model plane. At the end were Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus. As you can see, it was complete.


There was a lot of excitement in this year’s parade. There were many children and possibly a few adults who were ready for the big man. I can recall that when I was a young boy it was important for me to communicate with him. I suspect kids don’t really change. He needed my list if I was going to get what I wanted. The kids today need to see him too. Seeing him is somewhat comforting even though when I was a kid I was always a bit anxious about it. He was also kind of scary too. I bet the children lining the parade route were just as anxious.


Thinking about parades, I am about to conclude that nearly every parade has someone special to salute, someone we want to welcome or maybe even celebrate. We look forward to seeing them and honoring them. Parades are meant for military heroes, sports figures and teams, national leaders and talented celebrities. So it is with Santa Claus. With notice, we mark our calendars to see them and look forward with great anticipation to seeing them.


During the holidays you may also plan for and greatly anticipate attending musicals and concerts, neighborhood lightings, and other events. And too, most of us long for time with parents, children, grandchildren and other family members. I look forward to spending time with them each year. A Christmas parade kind of primes our anticipation for being with family.


My granddaughter, Analayne woke up early the other morning, got dressed, made her bed and then proceeded to her parent’s bedroom. She woke them up at 3 am ready to go to her grandparent’s house. She couldn’t contain herself she was so excited. It was Christmas Eve day! That just sums it up, doesn’t it?


When you were a child did you wake up early? Were you excited about receiving some special gift? Did you look forward to seeing someone special to you opening a gift from you to see the expression on his or her face or in his or her eyes? I know now how my parents must have felt when I found a sled under the tree. My son received a Millennium Falcon and an X-wing Fighter one year and as a parent I was thrilled with his excitement about receiving it.


I gave my wife a coconut cream pie from Dotson’s Restaurant this year. Their coconut pies are the closest of any to being like her mother’s coconut pies. She wasn’t expecting it. I looked forward to her opening the box it was in. She had not clue. For me, it wasn’t easy to hide, and that added to the emotional drama of the occasion.

Think back to when you were last excited like my granddaughter. Ready to go and full of anticipation. What a special time it is to be excited about what lies ahead.


What kind of anticipation do you think Mary, the mother of Jesus had? Or Simeon’s anticipation of the Messiah? Or us, when we think about the second coming of Christ? The parade that sticks out to me the most in scripture is the one for Christ on the Sunday we refer to as Palm Sunday. Christmas is a time for some with conflicting emotions. Loved ones who are no longer around. I guess it comes down to focus.

Scripture

God’s sign to you will be a son, born of a virgin. Isaiah 7.14

We will be given a child who will be God, the Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9.6

He will come from the family of Jesse (King David) and the Spirit of God will rest on Him. Isaiah 11.1-5

There will be one before Him (John the Baptist), preparing the way for God. Isaiah 40.3-5

God declares a Messiah will come for the nation of Israel. Jeremiah 23.5-6

A “Righteous” branch will emerge. Jeremiah 33.15

From Bethlehem there will come one who will rule for Me. Micah 5.1-2

Jesus enters Jerusalem to many people shouting “Hosanna!” - Mark 11.7-8

Mary anticipates becoming the mother of Jesus. - Luke 1.30-33

The Spirit of God will come on you and His Son will be born to you. Luke 1.35

Simeon waits for and encounters the Christ child in the Temple. - Luke 2.25-32

I (Jesus) will come back to you. John 14.2

John foretells the second coming of Christ. - Revelation 2.16

I am coming again. Revelation 3.11 and Revelation 22.12



No comments:

Post a Comment