Tuesday, November 10, 2009

David’s Place in the Sun











Well, if you’ve been reading my blog entries, you might have detected a “subplot” developing. It began in my “hometown tourist” entry dealing with the statues of Alan LeQuire (posted September 6, 2009). You may recall that several of his works remind me of the Statute of David I saw at the Ringling Art Museum when I was a teenager living in Sarasota, Florida. Although that was the spark that began it all, it didn’t jell until it occurred to me I would be visiting my son’s family in Sarasota and that I might have an opportunity to get a photo image of that very statue. The “subplot” was sealed when I took my granddaughter to the movie, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” and there was a reference to the Statue of David in the Jell-O palace scene of that movie. I was now committed.

So on the last day of my most recent visit to Florida, while the rest of the family was committed to other activities, I went to the Ringling Art Museum, specifically the museum’s courtyard, because I only had time to see that part of this wonderful museum.

Here are a couple of images of David. Scripture says David was a young man. He was, of course, Jewish. Michelangelo’s depiction isn’t accurate in one significant aspect; David isn’t Jewish. Specifically, he doesn’t have the “sign” of Abram’s covenant with God as outlined in Genesis 17.

The statue shows David, allegedly prior to his slaying of the Philistine giant, Goliath. He is a lean, taut and youthful male figure. It also shows him with a portion of the sling in his hand and a portion of it draping down his back. The statue is an imposing 17-foot figure in the museum’s courtyard. The original statue is made of marble and stands in Galeria dell'Academia in Firenze, Italy. The statue in the Florida sun is made of bronze and was cast from the original.

Scripture describes David as young and good looking when he confronted Goliath (the passage describing him a “boy” is cited below). Scripture also records that David had a sling and five small (approximately 2-inch round) stones from a nearby brook. The Biblical passage dealing with David on this doesn’t say God told David what he was to do. Instead, it records David as asking the men in camp, “What’s in it for the guy that kills this giant?” I have wondered, “Where is David’s obedience to God in this situation?” David only decides to take on the giant when he finds out what’s in it for him and that David collects 5 stones, when only one was needed. On the other side of the issue scripture says, “The Spirit of the Lord was within him.” Perhaps, this story most readily relates to us and our life in the Lord today. It seems that only now and then are direct and clear directions given to us, leaving us most of the time with rather broad, general and sweeping directions. I suppose the challenge is to cultivate a heart for God, then serve Him in ways that glorify Him.

So, from the outside we see a statue of a human form, like any other young figure. So, what is it that moves us about this piece? Is it some external quality? David in the sun is stunning for his appearance, sculpted by a renowned and gifted artist. But his external appearance wasn’t enough to move and inspire the nation of Israel nor does this statue come to mean so much to us by itself. Rather, it is his character and heart and what Israel became under his leadership that gives him power. And more importantly, it is David’s deep commitment to God that moves us. It is his humility to serve. He is teachable. He is willing to change. And it is the depth of his affection for God that sets him apart from anyone else, besides Jesus, in scripture. Unlike Saul, David was a man after God’s heart. His story is about his steadfast faith in God. In the Hebrew language, faith (emunah) has to do one’s response to a firm belief. For a believer it has to do with one’s confidence in God. It’s about a relationship, a relationship I need. It’s about confiding in God and trusting Him for everything. It is an intimate relationship. Read David’s Psalms (several verses are cited below). In them David confesses his reliance on God. He confesses his transgressions and he asks for God’s guidance. He is patient. It is a remarkable relationship in which God gives David great latitude to serve Him and at the same time he waits for God to do His will.

A fine Rollex watch is outwardly beautiful, but if that watch doesn’t keep accurate time, or even worse, doesn’t work at all, it is a disservice to the brand and its beauty. Both David and Saul were handsome. They were both chosen to be “king.” Similarly, a spouse may be beautiful or handsome, but if that spouse or mate is quarrelsome, disagreeable or “unfaithful,” they will not have a spouse’s heart. David sought to serve God, though admittedly, he was derailed on several occasions. In the end however, scripture says, “David was a man after God’s own heart (Acts).” Because of his faith, David conquered kingdoms and routed foreign armies (Hebrews). Like David, God’s spirit lives within me. We must be on the same page. I must confide in Him. I must trust Him. Faith gives us a wall on which we can write our lives. He is in everything we do.

Michelangelo’s work is significant. It is remarkable. But what makes it even more powerful is the meaning and significance that is the historical David.

I didn’t recall from my youth the pieces entitled “The Tiber” and “The Nile” that are just below the figure of David to his right and left. It is funny how I had forgotten the entire scene below David. As in the courtyard, he stands above those civilizations because of his character.

The courtyard holds many other figures also, some from Greek and Roman mythology. There is even a bodybuilder from close to the time of John Ringling himself. The courtyard includes “Romulus and Remus and the Capitoline She-Wolf,” and Charles Atlas holding up the world.


The most memorable piece to me beside David is the Chariot and Two Horses (one source refers to this as the “Biga,” another source refers to it as the “Votive Chariot Dedicated to Ceres“). It was as beautiful a few weeks ago as it was 46 years ago when I took the B&W image. Somehow one of my black and white photos of one of the horses survived my carelessness. Compare the images. Time has not reduced the piece’s ability to give “awe.”

Other celebrated art in the museum’s courtyard include the Fountain of Tortoises (Piazza Mattei in Rome) and Oceanus Fountain (by Giovanni Bologna). Isn’t the tortoise beautiful?

Scripture:
Genesis 17.9-14 – The sign of the covenant is given to Abraham.
1 Samuel 16.1-13 – David, anointed by Samuel to be king, returned to his father’s fields to shepherd his sheep.
1 Samuel 16.7 – The Lord does not look at outward appearance, He looks at the heart.
1 Samuel 16.12-13 – David was “ruddy” with a fine appearance and handsome features. The Lord said, “He is the one” (to be king). The Spirit of the Lord came upon David.
1 Samuel 16.23 – David’s presence brought peace.
1 Samuel 17.26-27 – David asks, “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine?”
1 Samuel 17.32-33 – David tells King Saul, “I will fight” the Philistine. Saul responds, “You are only a boy.”
1 Samuel 17.37 – David tells Saul, “The Lord spared my life when I was confronted by lions and bears.”
1 Samuel 17.42 – The Philistine saw that David was only a boy, ruddy and handsome and he despised him.”
1 Samuel 17.45-47 – David told the giant, “I am confronting you in the name of the Lord.”
1 Samuel 18.5 - David submitted to the king’s authority to become Saul’s attendant and officer.
1 Samuel 18.12 – The Lord was with David.
Acts 13.22 – David was a man after God’s own heart.
Hebrews 11.32-33 – David through his faith conquered kingdoms and routed foreign armies.
James 2.17-22 – Faith alone, without action, is dead. Faith and actions work together.

Psalm 18.1 – “How I love you Lord.”
Psalm 18.28 – “Lord, you give me light and dispel my darkness.”
Psalm 25.4 – “Teach me your ways O Lord.”
Psalm 31.4 – “Keep me safe from the trap that has been set for me.”
Psalm 32.5 – “I confessed my sins to you and you forgave me.”
Psalm 32.7 – “You are my hiding place.”
Psalm 145.1 – “I will proclaim your greatness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment